As we prepare for 2019, I am taking this opportunity to reflect on the accomplishments of the Naples Press Club this past year.
As NPC is a volunteer organization, nothing happens without the involvement and direction of our board members. Each person brings talent and expertise that provides us with the ability to host educational lunches, provide scholarships to journalism students, share messages about the importance of free press and the First Amendment and give awards to deserving young journalists.
A few of the highlights include:
· Providing thought-provoking monthly programs featuring timely topics and news-making individuals.
· Organizing well-attended “Sizzling Summer Media Mixers” held at locations from Naples to Fort Myers.
· Attracting new members, including younger working journalists.
· Raising money for the NPC Scholarship Fund with a challenge grant from an anonymous donor and a successful raffle at the Annual Meeting luncheon.
· Providing scholarships to high-caliber journalism students.
· Taking a stand on the free press and the First Amendment with an opinion article published in the Naples Daily News on “Free Press Day.”
· Co-hosting a successful freelance writers and bloggers workshop with the Collier County Public Library.
· Presenting NPC Young Journalist Awards to a Print Reporter, Broadcast Reporter and Photojournalist.
Cary Barbor, freelance print and radio reporter, and Mike Sheffield, director, Communication and Customer Relations/PIO, Collier County Government, will step off the board at the end of the year. On behalf of the board of the Naples Press Club, I wish to thank them for their service as Governors-at-Large and look forward to their continued involvement in our committees and activities.
The new members to the board will be introduced in next month’s column.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year!